Monday, April 11, 2011

My Mother's Secret Ingredient



"In the childhood memories of every good cook, there's a large kitchen, a warm stove, a simmering pot, and a mom." -Barbara Costikyan

Growing up I remember enjoying helping my mom in the kitchen. I loved helping run the Kitchen-Aid when making goodies like zucchini bread and cookies. I loved helping mom stuff the manicotti pasta tubes with her yummy cheese filling. I loved helping roll out egg noodle dough into big thick chunky noodles to go into her wonderful homemade chicken noodle soup. I remember the funny things that happened, like once when I thought vanilla must be the most delicious drink in the world because it smelled so good and my mom encouraged me to try a taste and then had a good laugh over my reaction. Another time I remember my mom dropping some eggs on the floor and then proceeding to slip and fall in them. The time I spent in the kitchen with her is so precious to me. Even after going to culinary school, I can honestly say that what I learned at school doesn't hold a candle to the things I learned growing up beside my mom in the kitchen. Not only because she is a skilled cook, but because she used a special ingredient in everything she made that can't be bought at a store or taught at an institution; love. The same secret ingredient that her mother used, and her mother's mother used. And anyone who has tasted it knows exactly how yummy love tastes. My kids can tell you because most days you will find them in the kitchen with me helping with meal preparations. Another generation of good cooks in training. Another generation of love being passed down. Today my Olivia made the egg noodle dough, my Garrett cut the carrots, onions and the celery, my Cole rolled out the pasta dough, and my little Owen cut it into big, chunky noodles. I stirred it all together and we all sat down together for a great big bowl of love for dinner. It was delicious, as always.





3 comments:

  1. what fun memories of cooking with your mom :-) and the soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - Thanks sweet friend! I am missing you. Come see us soon! ♥

    Shana - So nice to have you visit my blog - I bet you did a lot of cooking with your mom too - fun memories indeed! I love all of your posts of you making these kind of memories with Claire - precious!

    ReplyDelete