Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homemade Additive and Preservative-Free Meats (Part 2: Deli-Style Lunch Meat)





I started this series a few months back and, as usual, got a bit sidetracked. This is the story of my life. Sad, but true.
BUT, I am determined to overcome this short-coming in my life and so here I am, ready to push on and continue this series.
My first post was all about how to make homemade sausage and I left off promising to update about the results of the Italian sausage recipe I was trying. Well, it was great! Unfortunately, I can't find the recipe again. But, since my last post, I bought Alton Brown's wonderful and great and awesome 2nd book of the Good Eats trilogy. By the way, I own the first book as well, and it is just as wonderful and great and awesome! Anyways, as I was perusing the recipes, I found recipes for both breakfast and Italian sausage, and since his recipes are always the best, I will leave you with those.
So now onto the purpose of this post .... deli-style lunch meat. A few months ago, as I was watching 'The Best Thing I Ever Ate: At a Deli' on the Food Network, I watched as a deli-owner in New York made his deli-style roast beef. It hit me that I could easily do this at home and so I searched the internet for a tutorial and found this. I was so excited to give it a try, and so I grabbed a top round roast out of the freezer to thaw and get started. The results were fantastic! Yeah! One less item to buy at the supermarket!
My story, however, does not stop there. About a month later, as I was watching Guy Fieri, on a Thanksgiving special, make turkey pastrami (did I mention how much I love the Food Network?) "Wow!" I thought, "I love pastrami!" I have never had turkey pastrami and will definitely try it, but I also took it a step further, playing with the idea of using this marinade for roast beef as well. The only problem was going to be locating juniper berries. One possibility is using gin instead, since gin is made from juniper berries. I don't really keep gin on hand though, and so I had my brother and his wife check the natural food store they shop at for the juniper berries. Sure enough, they had some. So now I am waiting for our next half beef ,that is being cut and wrapped as I write, to arrive. That, or waiting to get up the nerve to thaw out the extra turkey I bought during the holidays and ...'gulp'... cut it up to try the original recipe for turkey pastrami. That is probably not going to happen...so until next time when I give a pastrami update and move on to curing and smoking your own bacon, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment