Sunday, August 28, 2011

Soul Surfer

Okay so before I recommend this movie, I want to send you all over to a review done by a fellow sister in Christ that I respect very much. I think she has some very valid concerns that you should be aware of before watching this movie with your kids. With that said, I do
recommend this movie as a tremendous testimony of how God uses trials and tragedies for amazing purposes. In Bethany Hamilton's case, God gave her an amazing platform to stand on and proclaim the name of Jesus Christ; a platform that would not have been near as significant had she not lost her arm and had she not perservered despite her obvious limitations after the accident.

We often tend to forget the tremendous work God does through trials and tragedies. We think He has abandonned us or forgotten us, but just the opposite is true. Bethany Hamilton's story does a fantastic job of showing the many ways God uses trials to bless us, grow us, draw us nearer to Him, shape our character and ultimately to use us for His glory.

On a side note, I do find it interesting that the name of Jesus was intentionally left out of the movie. The only mention Jesus gets is during the credits at the end when they show actual footage of Bethany giving Jesus the glory. What other name would be a problem for producers to use in a movie? Sadly the only way the name of Jesus is acceptable is when it is being used as a swear word. BUT I also find this to be a tremendous testimony to the power of the name of JESUS! It only serves to build my faith in HIM. ( :



No comments:

Post a Comment