Monday, May 23, 2011

Peaches and Cream Baked Oatmeal




Have you ever made something so yummy that you would add it to your menu if you ran a restaurant? Well, 'Peaches and Cream Baked Oatmeal' would definitely be on my breakfast menu and could probably even make the dessert menu! A few years ago a friend of mine gave me a recipe for baked oatmeal, and also a taste of the batch she had made that morning. I had never had baked oatmeal before, but one bite and I was hooked! Oh my, is it good! Of course, being my typical self, I had to make some adjustments to suit my own tastes and to test how easy it was to make exchanges based on what I have on hand. I love a good recipe that can be adjusted to what is in my pantry! So, without further ado, here is my own version of the recipe complete with alternative ingredient options:





Peaches and Cream Baked Oatmeal




-3 cups oats
-4 t. baking powder
-1 t. salt
-2 T. flour
-1/2 cup oil or melted butter (coconut oil is a healthy and yummy
option)
-3 eggs
-1 cup sugar or 1/2 to 3/4 cup honey (the original recipe called for 1 1/2
cups sugar which I found to be way too sweet, you may want to adjust this to
your tastes as well)
-2 t. vanilla (or more if you like)
-1 qt. canned peaches, drained with the juice reserved (the original recipe
calls for 1 pt. but since I can my own peaches in quarts, I use the whole thing.
If you are deprived and have to buy your peaches at a store, then by all means
do use a pint instead, but know this, I am very, very sorry for you!)



-2 cups cream or milk (for those counting their calories use milk if you
must)

-Additional cream (whipped preferably) or milk to serve with (a dollop
of sour cream or plain yogurt work also).

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Add enough water to your reserved peach juice to equal 2 1/2 cups. Add peaches and other wet ingredients to the peach juice and whisk well, until eggs turn a bit foamy. Add wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredients and again, combine well. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until browned and the custard is set. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes to let it thicken even more. Top each serving with whipped cream and serve! Enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment